Grilling is one of the popular cooking techniques. A significant number of food enthusiasts like grilled food. Grilling on electric grills makes the entire process straightforward, from cooking to cleaning. Other things such as grill mats enhance grilling.
What is a grill mat anyway? It’s a non-stick fiberglass cloth that has a heat-resistant coating (usually polytetrafluoroethylene). These mats are commonly used on bottoms of ovens and top grills (charcoal or gas grills). Lastly, they are dishwasher safe and easy to clean. Grill mats are also referred to as BBQ grill mats.
How do I use a Grill Mat on my Electric Grill?
If you’re still wondering, “can I use a grill mat on my electric grill?” Yes, grill mats are versatile and are used on various cooking appliances, including electric grills.
Below is a brief step by step process on how to use a grill mat on an electric grill:
- First, ensure the grill mat you want to use is clean before placing them on an electric grill. If your grill mat is not clean, wash it with warm soapy water. You can also clean it in a dishwasher.
- Connect your electric grill to power and turn it on.
- (Optional) You can brush some olive oil on the cooking surface of the grill.
- Then place a single mat over the cooking surface (over the grates) of a grill. However, if your grill is larger, you can use two or more grill mats but maintain a single layer.
- You can now place your food over the grill mat for cooking (grill mats handle almost any food from side dishes to meat).
- Most importantly, ensure the heat on the electric grill’s cooking surface doesn’t surpass 500 degrees F.
- Cook foods like you usually cook on grill grates, i.e. keep the internal temperature on a check and turn food when necessary.
- Once you’re done cooking, remove the food from the mat. Then remove the grill mat from the electric grill. You should always clean the grill and grill mat after use but after they have cooled down.
What to Avoid when Using a Grill Mat on an Electric Grill
If you want effective results when using a grill mat on an electric grill, you should avoid the following:
- Never use metal cooking utensils. Metal utensils easily scratch the grill mat’s surface. It’s recommended you use utensils/ accessories made of plastic, silicone, or wood.
- Never use a grill mat over direct flames. Grill mats can easily catch fire if used over flames.
- Don’t layer grill mats on top of each other on a grill. One layer of grill mat is enough.
- Do wash grill mats on the top rack of your dishwasher only.
Why Should You Use a Grill Mat anyway?
Below are the benefits/ advantages of grill mats:
Cooks with less oil
Grill mats have a non-stick surface that requires less oil for cooking. Therefore, it enhances healthier cooking.
As highlighted above, grill mats have non-stick surfaces; therefore, foods don’t stick. Additionally, you can easily wipe them with soapy water or clean them in a dishwasher. Lastly, grill mats help keep your grill clean because food, grease, or fats don’t directly contact the grill grates.
Grill mats have a flat surface that provides even heating.
You can cook about anything on grill mats, from steaks, scrambled eggs to vegetables. They form a surface like that of a pan or griddle.
It’s okay to use grill mats on electric grills. However, you have to observe a few things, such as ensuring the temperature of your grill doesn’t go beyond 500 degrees F and using tools/ accessories made of material that won’t damage the mat.
Do you get grill marks with a grill mat?
When using a mat, you don’t get grill marks on your food surface, especially when using a thick grill mat. Therefore, avoid using grill mats if you want to attain grill marks on your food’s exterior.
How many times can you use a grill mat?
You can use a grill mat over and over as long as it’s in condition. All it takes is cleaning it after every use. That will enhance the effectiveness as you reuse it in your electric grill.
Do you preheat grill mats?
There is no need to preheat grill mats. You only place a mat over a grill once an electric grill is preheated. Grill mats heat up very quickly; thus, they need minimal time to heat up.
Check out Atgrills indoor electric grills and griddles to cook food on a cookware with natural stone coating.